The instructions that follow explain how to install OrCAD/Allegro 22.1 products. These instructions support stand-alone workstations as well as network licensing .
If you choose to use a dongle as your Cadence OrCAD/Allegro product license and locking method, attach the dongle to the USB port of your computer after the installation of your software is complete and you are ready to reboot your computer. Although, you may receive a License Manager error during the installation, the error is expected and typically is resolved after you complete your installation and reboot your system.
Preparing for Installation
Be sure to complete the tasks that follow before you begin installation of your OrCAD/Allegro products.
- Save your license file – EMA includes your license file with your software delivery. You may optionally receive a control file that enables you to selectively install a subset of OrCAD/Allegro products. If so, save that control file, which is not a required file, with your license file.
- Identify the Hostname of your server or local workstation – You need to verify the hostname of the server or workstation where your License Manager is installed. You can identify this by entering Hostname into a Command Prompt window. Optionally, if your software and license file is installed on a single computer you can use ‘localhost’ as your hostname.
- Verify you have a USB port available (optional) – a USB port is necessary only if you plan to use a USB Flex ID (dongle) for your product license and locking method. If you plan to use a USB dongle for license verification, you may need to uninstall or pause your security software before the installation can be successfully completed, as some security suites interfere with the dongle driver installation.
- Verify you have Administrative rights – Admin rights are needed to conduct the installation of License Manager and recommended for the installation of OrCAD/Allegro software products.
Note: If you already have License Manager installed, it will be uninstalled during the base installation to enable the installation of the most recent version of License Manager.
To access the Cadence Online Support (COS) software download webpage, open the URL: http://support.cadence.com/. Then select the menu options: Software > Download Software.
Note: The links and menus available from the Cadence Support webpage may appear differently when you use a different browser or a different browser window width.
If necessary, click the three parallel line icon (hamburg icon) to display the drop-list menu items select Software > Download Software.
Specify Your Download Preferences
The first time you access the Cadence software download webpage, you are prompted to specify your download preferences.
- To specify your Download Method, select Complete Media Images and then select Windows as your operating system as shown in the screen image above.
- Type SPB into the Available Releases input field. Then click the right > arrow to specify SPB in the Preferred Releases box.
- If necessary, scroll down the page to view the lower part of the page. Select I Agree and click the Save button.
The "Latest Releases" for the last 90 days display in the center of the window.
Download & Install Download Manager for OrCAD/Allegro 22.1 Products
When you view the Cadence software download page, (URL: http://downloads.cadence.com) there are several links along the top border of the page.
- Click to select: DOWNLOAD ASSISTANTS > Download Manager. The "Using Cadence Download Manager" webpage opens.
- Click the Download link as highlighted in the above screen image. This initiates the download process.
- When the download is complete, click the downloaded file (DownloadManager*.exe) and select Show in folder from the pop-up menu.
- Then click the executable file using your right mouse and select Run as administrator from the pop-up menu.
The InstallShield wizard that opens guides you through the installation of the Cadence Download Manager.
- Review the license agreement. Select "I accept the terms of the license agreement" and click Next to continue.
- Verify the installation directory and click Next. The last page of the InstallShield Wizard offers options to create a shortcut icon on your desktop and "launch Download Manager now."
- Click the Finish button to complete the installation of Download Manager.
Note: After Download Manager is installed, you can launch it at a later time by either entering and selecting Download Manager from your Windows Start menu, or by clicking your desktop icon if you chose to create one.
Download & Install OrCAD/Allegro 22.1 Products Using the Cadence Download Manager
- With Download Manager open, use the vertical scroll bar to navigate to OrCAD and Allegro. As illustrated in the above screen image, verify the software version you want to install is selected in the center of the row.
- Click Install to download and install your OrCAD and Allegro software products.
The download process takes several minutes.
- Review and accept the License Agreement. Click the Next button to continue.
- Select a radio option to specify access-permissions to the software you are installing.
– Only for me (Recommended)
– Anyone who uses this computer
- Browse to select the OrCAD/Allegro installation directory and working directory.
– Installation Directory: When you accept the default directory suggested, the installation is completed without overwriting the previous installation version. Acceptance of the suggested installation directory facilitates troubleshooting that may occur at a future time.
– Working/Home directory: The Working Directory is separate from the Installation Directory. It is a location where projects and libraries are stored. This folder is left untouched during uninstallation. You can accept the suggested working directory or specify an alternate location.
- (Optional step) Click the Custom Installation button if you want to install only the specific OrCAD/Allegro products you are licensed to access. By default, all OrCAD/Allegro products are installed, but only the products specifically licensed to you are activated. The custom installation improves the efficient use of your computer resources because the products that lack licensing are excluded from the installation.
When you install the custom installation, you receive a prompt asking for the path to your control file. The control file is an EMA provided-file that enables you to install only the products for which you have a license. The control file is not required to continue with custom installations and this field may be left blank.
- Click Next to continue.
- (Optional Step) If you are installing Capture CIS you may be asked to select the appropriate Footprint Viewer for Capture CIS. PCB Editor is recommended. Your selection may be edited at a future time if necessary. Accept the default directory for the libraries and click Next.
- Select a licensing option to specify the “Input License Details.”
– Connect to Existing Server — When you select this option you are prompted for the License Server port number and Host Name. This information is typically supplied by the company IT group or the person/group who installed the network license server. If you are installing your software on the same computer that you saved your license file, you may use port number 5290 and localhost as your hostname.
– Install License Server — (Default Selection) When you select this option, the updated License Manager is installed before your OrCAD/Allegro 22.1 products are automatically installed.
Note: Use of a dongle is optional. If you are using a dongle provided by EMA to support licensing, attach your dongle to your PC after the software installation is complete. During the installation process you may receive an error message regarding license manager failure. This error is planned and expected and at this time the error can be ignored.
- Click the ellipsis button (3 dots) and browse to select your OrCAD/Allegro license file.
- Click the Install button.
The license settings you selected are applied and the installation of License Manager begins. If that option was selected, this may take a few minutes to complete.
The installation of your OrCAD/Allegro 22.1 products automatically begins after your licensing settings are applied. Installation of the OrCAD/Allegro software products commonly take some time.
- Click the Finish button.
Dongle license verification: If you have a dongle to verify licensing, you need to attach the dongle into your computer only after the installation process is complete. Updated settings are applied to your system after you reboot. You also need to install the latest hotfixes as described in the next section. You will need to install the hotfixes without the dongle attached to your computer. After installation of the hotfixes are complete, you need to pug in your dongle and reboot your computer to apply the system updates.
Download & Install the latest hotfixes using Download Manager
Cadence software products are released to the public as either a major base release or hotfix update. The base release version 22.1 is a a new release. Ongoing corrections and feature updates between base releases are referred to as hotfix updates.
After you complete the installation of the base release 22.1 of the OrCAD/Allegro application, it is recommended you install available hotfix updates from Download Manager. This ensures your installation includes the latest features and fixes.
- Open Download Manager if not already open.
- Review the list of Cadence software products that are already installed. The list of installed products are listed at the top of the Download Manager window. When you need to install an update for an installed software product, you will see UPDATE in blue letters as shown in the image that follows.
- Verify the version you have installed is selected in the middle of the row.
- Click UPDATE to automatically download and install your latest hotfixes.
- Complete the online instructions presented.
- After the installation of the updates are complete, restart your computer.
The Download Manager displays UPDATED in green letters to indicate your software is successfully updated. You may need to refresh your view before the updated status displays.
Updating an OrCAD/Allegro license file (Mac or Dongle)
The “Cadence License Server Configuration Utility” is used to update your licensing for OrCAD/Allegro products after you modify your purchase of OrCAD/Allegro products or services you are licensed to use.
If your updated license file is on a dongle, please refrain from plugging in your dongle during the installation of hotfixes. You may plug your dongle into your computer after the installation of the hotfix updates are complete. Only one licensing dongle may be plugged into your computer at a time.
- Open your Windows Start menu and select Cadence > License Server Configuration Utility, as shown in the image above to launch the utility.
The License Server Configuration Utility may also be opened from the following path: C:\Cadence\LicenseManager\LicenseServerConfiguration.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the path of your license file. The absolute path to your license file needs to be entered into the field.
- Click the Next button to continue.
- Set the Host Name field to your machine name if the field does not automatically populate. Do not modify any other setting. If you saved your license on the same machine as your software installation, you can update it to 'localhost' as your hostname. Click Next to continue.
Note: You can easily verify your actual hostname by entering hostname into the Command Prompt.
If you get an error regarding an invalid port number, simply re-type the “5280” port number. This is due to a known Microsoft bug.
- Follow the remaining online instructions presented to update the configuration of your product licensing.
IF A LICENSING ERROR OCCURS
If a licensing error occurs, complete the following:
- Restart your machine (with the dongle plugged in if you are using one)
- Try to check out the software again.
- Capture a screen image of the error message generated, so that you can forward it to EMA Technical Support.
- Forward your license.dat file and debug.log files, (located in the directory: C:\cadence\licensemanager)to EMA Technical Support.
ADDITIONAL TROUBLESHOOTING INSTRUCTIONS
If your licensing server application fails to start or restart complete these additional steps.
- Open the LMTools Utility either directly from the file path: C:\Cadence\LicenseManager. Alternatively, you may also open your Windows Start menu and select Cadence > LMTools.
- Verify that the “Cadence License Manager” service is selected/highlighted and that the check box “LMTools Ignores license file path environment variables” box is checked.
- Open the Start/Stop/Reread tab and click the Stop Server button.
Wait at least an actual 5 seconds.
Note: We recommend you ignore messages in the lower left during this process.
- Click the Start Server button.
- Try to open your software again.
- If you continue to receive licensing errors, follow the instructions provided in the knowledge base solution: "Manually resolve environment variable.