I am trying to add parts to my schematic. However, Capture is unable to locate my part library.
The CAPTURE.INI file tells Capture the path locations of symbol part libraries, footprints, and your footprint viewer. If Capture is unable to locate a symbol or footprint, you may need to verify or correct the path location recorded in the CAPTURE.INI file.
The default path to the CAPTURE.INI file for Capture version 16.5 and earlier is located in the Capture directory. The default install location is "C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_<version number>\tools\Capture, or C:\Cadence\SPB_<version number>\tools\Capture.
The default path to the CAPTURE.INI file for Capture version 16.6 and later can by found by opening Capture and looking at the 1st line of the Session Log. The session log is generally located at the bottom of the Capture window. Or you can open the session log from the menu bar by selecting Window > 1 Session Log.
Although the path may vary with different installations, the path to the session log is generally similar to one of the following paths.
- Cadence\SPB_Data\cdssetup\OrCAD_Capture/17.2.0/Capture.ini, or
Be sure to close Capture before editing the CAPTURE.INI file. Add the lines below to the CAPTURE.INI
Schematic Part Symbols:
[Part Library Directories]
Dir0=<drive letter and path to the Capture Symbol libraries>
If another path is needed, increment the "Dir0" to "Dir1." If you use the installed Capture libraries, please include that drive and path.
If after adding this section and it is still not working, then check to see if there exists this section already in the CAPTURE.INI file. Typically it is above (earlier) in the file.
- Open the CAPTURE.INI file with a text editor. Locate the following set of statements that are located near the beginning of the file:
[Footprint Viewer Type]
dir0=(1st <drive letter:\path to footprints>)
- In the Footprint Viewer Type section, specify the footprint viewer to use.
To view footprints with Cadence Allegro \ OrCAD PCB Designer/Editor, enter this statement:
- The Allegro Footprints sections define the location of the footprint libraries for the viewers. When building a list of viewable footprints, Capture looks at all libraries located in the directories specified by the CAPTURE.INI file.
- Ensure that the correct directories for the selected viewer are listed.
- More than one directory can be specified. Be sure to increment the directory number (dir0, dir1, dir2, and so on) because each directory requires a unique number.
- Directory names are case-sensitive.
View footprints in Capture
While working in Capture, you can view the footprints associated with the part in the footprint viewer. This viewer provides a two dimensional view of the footprint symbol of a selected part on the schematic. Along with the footprint symbol, the viewer also shows pin numbers and pin names. You can access the viewer from your schematic as described below.
To view the footprint:
- Using your right mouse button, select the desired part.
- Select Show Footprint from the right mouse popup menu.