Question: I am using a large 4K monitor and I need to enlarge the size of the Allegro PCB Editor icons. How can I do this?
Answer: There are two different approaches you can take to alter the size of Allegro screen scaling and the size of icons. You can either edit the Allegro system properties, or you can edit the configuration of the Allegro “tbiconsize” variable. Both approaches are applicable to versions 17.2 and 17.4.
Approach #1: Edit Allegro system properties
You can enlarge Allegro scaling by editing settings associated to Allegro Properties as follows.
- Open Windows File Manager and navigate to C:\Cadence\SPB_17.2 or SPB_17.4\tools\bin\allegro.exe.
- Highlight allegro.exe and select Properties from your right mouse popup menu.
- Open the Compatibility tab and click the Change high DPI settings button.
- Select the Override high DPI scaling behavior check box. Then click the Application drop-list arrow and select System.
- Click the OK buttons to apply the updated configuration settings and close the open dialog boxes.
Approach #2: Edit the configuration of the “tbiconsize” variable
The “tbiconsize” variable was added to Allegro PCB Editor with version 17.2. You can control the settings associated to this variable as follows.
- Open Allegro PCB Editor and select the menu items: Setup > User Preferences.
- Select Ui > General under the Categories section.
- Click the Next button to go to the second page of General Preferences.
- Click the drop-down arrow for tbiconsize. Options you can select are small, medium and large.
This screen image demonstrates the approximate size of small icons.
This screen image demonstrates the approximate size of medium icons.
This screen image demonstrates the approximate size of large icons.
- Select large.
- Click the OK button to apply your selection and close the dialog box.