Question: How can I set up my Cadence License Manager so that idle licenses are timed out, recalled, and become available for another user?
Answer: Timing out a license is a function of the FlexNet Options file addressed in the FlexNet End Users Guide section 13. The instructions that follow describe the TIMEOUTALL option that can be setup to time out and recall idle licenses.
Assumptions that accompany these instructions are, the default installation directory for Cadence License Manager is C:\Cadence\LicenseManager and the default license file name is license.dat. However, this path and file name may be different for your installation if the defaults were not used.
The minimum timeout for all Cadence software is 1 hour, so any license that is idle for less than an hour is unable to be recalled. Using the method presented below, any license that is idle for at least one hour is recalled to the license server.
- Create a new text file in the license manager folder (C:\Cadence\LicenseManager) named options.opt.
- Enter the following line in the text file, if you’re using only the TIMEOUTALL option at the minimum limit: TIMEOUTALL 3600
- Save the file and open your license file (default C:\Cadence\LicenseManager\license.dat) using Notepad or other plain-text editor.
Note: Do not use WordPad. That will improperly save the formatting.
- Locate the DAEMON line of the file. It should look something like this:
DAEMON cdslmd C:\Cadence\LicenseManager\cdslmd.exe PORT=3000
- Insert the information pointing to the options file using the following syntax:
DAEMON cdslmd C:\Cadence\LicenseManager\cdslmd.exe C:\Cadence\LicenseManager\options.opt PORT=3000
Please note, attempting to set the TIMEOUTALL option to less than 3600 seconds will result in the option being ignored. You can use greater than 3600, but not less.